Thursday, December 9, 2010

Worden Sweet Cemetery, Scriba, NY

 
 Visited the forums at : Ancestry.com's Forums
 
 
My message sent:
 
This is my first break. Some one that can go to a cemetary and look at the names there. Here is where I am stopped because oswego, New York court house burned down and no records. I do have this link I will post here for your viewing pleasure to see if your info matches with mine.
http://sweetfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2010/06/more-exposure... and herehttp://sweetgeanology.blogspot.com/

Any one that can help me find out ancestors of John and Alpha Sweet I sure would appreciate it.
 
 
Reply:
The cemetery referred to in these postings is the Worden Sweet Cemetery located in Scriba, to the west of the city of Oswego. The Sweets buried there are the descendents of Oliver Sweet who relocated there just after the turn of the 19th century. He came from East Greenwich, RI, but moved to NY after the Revolutionary War. He was in Easton, Albany, NY for the 1790 census and then in Norway, Herkimer, NY in 1800. The cemetery is located on land once owned by Joseph Worden, the son-in-law of Oliver Sweet. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find a link between this Oliver and John (and Alpha) Sweet. In terms of the cemetery itself, there is a record of the interments for the Worden Sweet Cemetery posted at findagrave.com. Good luck in your search!
 
 
Thoughts: Hmm maybe my assumption of a name change is wrong. I need to find a way to dig in to this deeper. Maybe I should email some of the people that inquired this forum. Maybe I need to dig further in to these forums. More reading to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment